National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ampthill Ambulance Access thread...was Leeds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedAmpthill Ambulance Access thread...was Leeds

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Message
The 15 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Location: Hoylake
Status: Offline
Points: 13
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:07
How do governing body think £675.000.000 can run a full time Professional out fit at Level 2, no help at level 3 either to talk of, it becomes a bit of a farce.If the governing think the benefactors and the willing Volunteers will continue for ever then i fear they maybe wrong.I dont know Richmonds circumstance but i do know a little about leeds and staying at headingley has not helped their cause getting 1000 or 1200 people rattling around in that vast stadium was bordering on crazy.yes there may be an element of miss management but investors will never keep putting money into a lost cause the writing has been on the wall for Leeds for a fair while now, it has finally come home to roost.
Back to Top
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Location: Cambridge
Status: Online
Points: 6236
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:09
This view on google maps sort of shows the problem - but does not really give a good impression of the heights.

The club is on the road and has the three originnal pitches, one of which is used for another code.
However, this being Bedfordshire it is clay and the rain comes off the hill and these turn into quagmires.

So when they had te opportunity to aquire land up the hill they took it and leveled two pitches. But there is quite a bank round the main pitch - which does make a glorious viewing area in good weather - not that I remember visiting in good weather. And the ground drops away steeply on the other side.  The far pitch - often used by the 2nd XV is considerably higher than the main pitch.

I believe ambulance access is through the path that leads from the 507 tround he second pitch and the the top of the spectator banking (but I am not an Ampthill supporter and may be wrong).

Given they are moving - I doubt they want to sink too much more capital into these pitches.


Blood and Sand
Back to Top
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1885
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:14
On the Ampthill issue, here are the facts, again (and again).

As with every rugby club, there have been a number of ambulance calls to Ampthill's new pitches, in every case bar one the ambulances concerned gained access through the designated route, drove straight on the pitch, paramedics administered care and the injured player was removed without any issue because the ambulance driver(s) took the advice of local officials.

In one case, a driver refused to take the advice given and a player received what most would consider inappropriate care. 

Would that the individual with an axe to grind here would take that up with the responsible party rather than with a community club which always tries to put the interest of players first.


a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
Back to Top
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 20 May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 2764
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:23
I have no axe to grind..
I have visited the club three times - and on the second of those the incident occurred. It was raised between clubs, and the Ampthill management, whose responsibility it is chose to take no visible action.

I have no evidence that the issue has come back to bite Ampthill; the first suggestion that it had was in this thread. If it has, it’s a great shame for players and supporters, but because of their attitude to a critical safety issue I have no sympathy for their management, and their apologists. Perhaps they should defer attempts at promotion until their new facilities are available.

Edited by OldNick - 05 Jun 2019 at 11:39
Back to Top
marigold View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular
Avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2019
Location: Eltham
Status: Offline
Points: 69
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:48
Not sure Richmond have the structure to stay in the championship
Having lost 13ish senior players I have  no idea how recruitment has gone 
Also some of the back room has changed
Not sure you can get new people in July/August to cope with championship demands
Richmond can also refuse to go back up
If that happens and the worst happens at Leeds and Ampthill then that leaves more clubs at Nat 1
club's AGM is on the 26th
waiting for the next episode of  ...........

Member not sure you are accurate about Richmond. My friends son plays there and informs me whilst 2 forwards have gone to full time rugby a 3rd who left has decided to return. 4 of last seasons starting pack plus 6 of the starting backline are still in place. The Director of Rugby and first team coaching structure remains in place. Richmond rarely drip feed information about recruitment as they seem to prefer to champion continuity as opposed to wholesale change. Pretty sure Richmond would want to go back up given the post Xmas shenanigans of Hartpury and YC which lead to their relegation. For their sake lets hope a decision either way comes sooner rather than later
Back to Top
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Location: Surrey
Status: Offline
Points: 1665
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:52
Noted. All that are needed are a couple more props which would have been the case anyway as the two ‘dream team ‘ ones have gone with everyone’s blessing.
pappashanga
Back to Top
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Location: RAG
Status: Offline
Points: 2035
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 14:16
Marigold
you are partly right that is why I put 13ish
6 have gone to other clubs though one wants to cancel

7 retiring but 2 thinking about changing their minds 
I do not know anything how recruitment is going 


Edited by Member728 - 05 Jun 2019 at 14:24
83 Consecutive League Wins
Back to Top
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Location: RAG
Status: Offline
Points: 2035
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 14:23
Fat Albert 
The facts as I know it
Through my contacts at other clubS in the championship at least 3 clubs have complained about the medical facilities at Ampthill
The exact nature of the compliant(s) I  do not know
All I can tell you is that when Richmond went up we had to get a lot more medical people and better
qualified 
We had to get more medical equipment 
Also an ambulance has to be stationed inside the ground for the matches
In fact one of our home games was delayed last year because the ambulance was stuck in traffic   


Edited by Member728 - 05 Jun 2019 at 14:25
83 Consecutive League Wins
Back to Top
hophog View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: Not given
Status: Offline
Points: 254
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by Member728 Member728 wrote:

Fat Albert 
The facts as I know it
Through my contacts at other clubS in the championship at least 3 clubs have complained about the medical facilities at Ampthill
The exact nature of the compliant(s) I  do not know
All I can tell you is that when Richmond went up we had to get a lot more medical people and better
qualified 
We had to get more medical equipment 
Also an ambulance has to be stationed inside the ground for the matches
In fact one of our home games was delayed last year because the ambulance was stuck in traffic   

Member728, Ampthill recently announced that they have secured the services of a new "lead doctor" (https://www.ampthillrufc.com/welcome-to-dr-richard-collins/). Perhaps this addresses one of your points?


Back to Top
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2013
Location: Ampthill
Status: Offline
Points: 565
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 17:19
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I am not sure we have had an official statement. There was a posting from a Richmond supporter who mentioned it was being looked at. Ampthill are of course moving for season after next - which will resolve it.

They could also play their first team games on the old pitch next to the club house, which would mean most people wouldn't be able to see but the games but they could go ahead with ambulance access direct from the main road.

The ambulance issue happened once some years ago. Ambulances have visited the new pitches a few times since with no further issues.
Propping up the board
Back to Top
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 20 May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 2764
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 17:26
On all these matters, I note there is an RFU council meeting on 15th June, prior to the RFU AGM that day.

I strongly suspect no decisions will be made before then.
Back to Top
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 20 Aug 2011
Location: Jersey
Status: Offline
Points: 1202
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 17:30
Sounds to me that the Ampthill ambulance issue is a complete non issue.
Would have thought the RFU had a much more pressing to do list elsewhere viz:
Decision on Leeds
Effect on Championship and others
Confirmation of 2019 2020 fixtures
RFU Funding
Premiership ring fencing or not
Championship status
Championship Funding
Championship Cup (as in, get rid of )
Grass Roots Game
Income from World Cup later this year ?
Come on Jersey........
Back to Top
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Location: North
Status: Offline
Points: 597
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 18:46
Ampthill are a very well run club, I have no doubt they will have made the necessary provisions . . I think this is  a bit of  a non-issue . . . at one point they were thinking of sharing with Bedford . . so that could be arranged for one season at the least.
Run with it
Back to Top
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Cornwall
Status: Offline
Points: 532
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 22:30
Ampthill deserve to be in the Championship.Lets close this debate down its getting boring.
Back to Top
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Location: Surrey
Status: Offline
Points: 1665
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 22:43
Yes they’ve earned their spot.
pappashanga
Back to Top
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2013
Location: East Yorkshire
Status: Offline
Points: 1142
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 23:04
Originally posted by The Joy of (Level) 7 The Joy of (Level) 7 wrote:

If Champioship rugby is denied to Ampthill because of "ambulance access" then the Championship deserves all the denigration it gets. If it's OK for levels 3 and 4 (and below) it should be OK for L2. Attendees at L2 games aren't exactly massive!


Agree.
Why is ambulance access at Ampthill an issue beacause they are now in the Championship? If it is an issue, surely it has always been an issue. In terms of H&S, why are Championship players more important than players at any other level?
Old Tongonians deserve their promotion. Good luck to them.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Back to Top
Rob C View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad


Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Location: Coventry
Status: Offline
Points: 56
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 10:16
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Originally posted by The Joy of (Level) 7 The Joy of (Level) 7 wrote:

If Champioship rugby is denied to Ampthill because of "ambulance access" then the Championship deserves all the denigration it gets. If it's OK for levels 3 and 4 (and below) it should be OK for L2. Attendees at L2 games aren't exactly massive!


Agree.
Why is ambulance access at Ampthill an issue beacause they are now in the Championship? If it is an issue, surely it has always been an issue. In terms of H&S, why are Championship players more important than players at any other level?
Old Tongonians deserve their promotion. Good luck to them.

Admittedly medical access should be adequate at all levels but the step up in size and pace in the Championship means injuries are likely to be more regular and severe.  

At least that's how it appears to me in our first season back at this level...
Back to Top
dropout22 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular


Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 145
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 13:40
They deserve their promotion ofcourse, i'm just unsure how we can be in a professional divison where a club doesn't have seats or a stand. Am I right in thinking the changing rooms etc are in a different location to the pitch?.
Back to Top
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1885
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 14:14
Talking about next season

#folauAmpthill...
a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 600
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 14:27
Originally posted by Fat Albert Fat Albert wrote:

Talking about next season

#folauAmpthill...

Hope he does get back into rugby, here's hoping his lawsuit is successful.

#IsraelFolauDidNothingWrong
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.