National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Serious injury to Spencer Wakeling – Newbury Blu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Serious injury to Spencer Wakeling – Newbury Blu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious injury to Spencer Wakeling – Newbury Blu
    Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 15:50

Last week’s first win of the season for Newbury against Plymouth has come at a VERY heavy price. Spencer Wakeling, our new South African signing suffered a very serious injury which made everyone wince at the time and when a photo appeared in the local press it confirmed the seriousness.

Unfortunately, news on our website (Newbury Blues) indicates Spencer's rugby career may be over as a result of the injury and all we are hoping for now is that he makes a recovery, although the outlook seems that it make take a considerable time.

Quoted from a text message from his hospital bed as follows:

<TEXT MESSAGE REMOVED AT REQUEST>

I’m sure everyone will be wishing him well..

Edited by blue paper - 03 Oct 2008 at 21:03
Barford Blue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barford Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 15:57
It never makes good reading when this kind of injury ends a player's playing career.
Good luck to Spencer in a full recovery and hoping the rest of life deals him a better hand.

Edited by Barford Blue - 26 Sep 2008 at 16:34
Blessed are the cracked, for it is us who let the light in!!!
crowlasboy View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowlasboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 16:15
On behalf of the Press Gang - supporters of the Cornish Pirates - I wish Spencer a speedy recovery and all the best for the future.

D1ck Straughan
Blood and Sand View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blood and Sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 16:24
Poor lad......reminds me of David Butz or whatever his name was.
Barford......not sure you have quite conveyed what you meant to say in line one...id hit the edit button.
PhilBlue View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Bedford Blues

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 16:28
It certainly shows how insignificant this weekend's games really are, even though I am sure we will all be screaming like mad at each game, when a player suffers such a serious injury.

It's great to see his attitude which shows the sort of positive thinking he will need to receover as far as possible.

Good luck Spencer.
Exeforever View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exeforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 16:28
Career ending injuries are always very sad even if mercifully rare.  I hope Spencer makes a full recovery as soon as possible.
deputydawg View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deputydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 16:38
Agree with all the comments, but let's not write him off yet. many players have come back from career finishing injuries and played again. Never say never. Good luck Spencer
deputydawg
Reddings Nomad View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reddings Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 20:59
Good luck Spencer. I'm sure I speak for all at Moseley when I say we're all thinking of you...Players & Supporters alike. Chin up mate...Get well soon.
EDF Trophy Winners 2009 / Relegation Pool Survivors 2010!!! "The Revival Continues!!!" Huhh??!
RedOrDead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOrDead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 02:18
Most who have played the game will identify with how horrible having a joint manipulated into a direction it doesn't want to point is.

I echo the sentiments of the rest of the forum - Spencer, I hope it rehabs well.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 08:40
Yes, by the look of it very similar to the injury sustained by David Busst playing for Coventry City several years ago. That finished his very promising career, but he's still involved with football. Hopefully Spencer will find a niche too.

Best wishes to the lad, and you never know, miracles sometimes happen.....
Nottmrugbymad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Nottingham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nottmrugbymad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 09:11
Good luck Spencer, I hope that you make a speedy recovery and that the end result is better than the early advice suggests. Being young and fit and most importantly keeping a positive attitude can work wonders.
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 11:55
Puts everything into perspective......

Best of luck Spencer, and a speedy recovery ..........
nwnreader View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwnreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 00:39
Spence is very grateful to all messages of support.  Has his first op later today, next one in 6 weeks or so.  He prefers that the sms mentioned earlier is not quoted, as he does not accept what he has been told. "There's no fat lady singing around here" as he said.  What do Doctors know anyway?
nottsarcher View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nottsarcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 09:22
In my opinion, its better to be given the worse case scenario from the outset. If Spencer wants inspiration to either get back into rugby or achieve other things, he need only to look at the recent paraolympics - if that doesn't give people hope, then nothing will. It's far too early on the physical side to be absolutely certain its a career ending injury, but I'm sure Spencers mental attitude will push him to where he wants to be. Best wishes for the future Spencer.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 11:31
If I can give any hope. Blackheaths paul Goody (now coaching at Southend) suffered a similar injury and was informed he would not play again and would probably walk with a limp. With expert Physio help and guidance after 2 years of rehab he made it back and played first team rugby again at Blackheath before moving to Southend and finishing his playing career last year. I think he played for 4 seasons at National level after the initial diagnosis.
So many Christians not enough Lions
4everchief View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4everchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 11:51
On behalf of everybody on the Exeter Tribe site we wish you a speedy recovery Spencer and the very best of luck for the future.
nwnreader View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwnreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 17:46
Spencer had his first op on Tuesday and is now on bed rest, feeling a bit sore.
He appreciates all words of support from the rugby family
nwnreader View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwnreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 20:00
He is home for rest and rehab until his next op.

Thanks for your interest
porkpie View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 21:26
i was upset to hear of spencer injury from a friend. i played with him at minehead as a colt yes minehead!! we had a great year. whenever spencer was given motm ( a few times) we could never get him to drink a pint,  so ice cream was his forfit. please send are best wishes from all his old friends down here in somerset and wishes him the quickest possible recovery. it would be great to see him again. when he is up and about get him to leave his number at the club. good luck spencer hope to see you soon

lee 
blue paper View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 00:06

Thanks porkpie... will pass your message on.

He had over 4 hours of surgery on the knee last week and has a number more planned in the next few weeks. Muscle from the hamstring has been taken to rebuild his lateral ligament completely, which was wrecked in the incident. Then it’s a rebuild of AC and PC ligaments… (whatever they are….)  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic