National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Leeds Carnegie v London Irish
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leeds Carnegie v London Irish

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Poll Question: who is Aviva Premiership bound?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.80%]
46 [90.20%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message
Donnyknightsfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Location: Doncaster
Status: Offline
Points: 769
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 14:26
Missed the game last night but managed to watch the full replay on youtube. What a fantastic game of rugby between two teams who wanted to score tries. LI deserved winners but they'll have to improve significantly otherwise they'll be blown away in the Prem. Leeds played well but they gifted Irish far too many soft points and tries. Its a shame that they're losing a lot of players for next season because if they'd have kept this team together and added some quality they could've been challenging for promotion in a few years IMO. The one sour note in the game was the punch up about 10 mins from the end. I think Mr Carley officiated it very well as he did all of the game to be honest. I'd be shocked if Ben Franks didn't get a ban for that.
Back to Top
Donnyknightsfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Location: Doncaster
Status: Offline
Points: 769
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 14:29
I've just looked and Matt Carley is one of the TJ's for the final. JP Doyle is the referee!. I thought he was average last week.
Back to Top
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Location: Crawley
Status: Offline
Points: 1473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 17:11
Originally posted by Donnyknightsfan Donnyknightsfan wrote:

I've just looked and Matt Carley is one of the TJ's for the final. JP Doyle is the referee!. I thought he was average last week.


I didn't think he was that good - maybe he's retiring and it's a long service award?
RAID ON
Back to Top
Surreyben View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Location: Surrey
Status: Offline
Points: 2126
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surreyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 19:39
I wasn't particularly impressed by the quality of the two teams, particularly in the second half when it all went crazy. I heartily agree with all those who suggest that, unless Irish throw huge money around in the close season (which, of course will be hampered by it now being almost June and most other Premiership clubs have virtually completed recruitment), they are going to be bumping around the bottom struggling to avoid an immediate return to the Championship.
I may live in Surrey, but my heart is in Cornwall.
Kernow bys vyken - An gwary ha tra nahen
Back to Top
Loo fighters View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 01 May 2013
Location: Online...
Status: Offline
Points: 1449
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 20:23
Think the pi55 poor crowd was a disappointment. Irish need a new place to play.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Back to Top
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: W Yorks
Status: Offline
Points: 1429
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 22:11
Originally posted by Loo fighters Loo fighters wrote:

Think the pi55 poor crowd was a disappointment. Irish need a new place to play.

Yes difficult to believe Twickenham could probably sell out twice over but average attendance for premiership is 14000 and that's probably with Wembley and Twickenham games included
Back to Top
Ecksile View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular
Avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Reading
Status: Offline
Points: 70
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecksile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 22:58
Originally posted by Surreyben Surreyben wrote:

I wasn't particularly impressed by the quality of the two teams, particularly in the second half when it all went crazy. I heartily agree with all those who suggest that, unless Irish throw huge money around in the close season (which, of course will be hampered by it now being almost June and most other Premiership clubs have virtually completed recruitment), they are going to be bumping around the bottom struggling to avoid an immediate return to the Championship.

As I understand it Irish have completed their recruitment some time ago. 

We announced those leaving at the end of yesterdays game and some time ago also announced those re-signing. 

But thus far have made no announcements of new players.
Back to Top
Ecksile View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular
Avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Reading
Status: Offline
Points: 70
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecksile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 23:00
Originally posted by Loo fighters Loo fighters wrote:

Think the pi55 poor crowd was a disappointment. Irish need a new place to play.

They have IIRC from 2018/19 or 2019/20 season at Brentford
Back to Top
Dad View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Location: berks
Status: Offline
Points: 261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 23:15
Was speaking to someone tonight who said they believe brentford has permission and work will start soon but will be 2 years so likely in for Sep 19.

Think there would have been more for last night if they had planned properly. I was going to go in a group of about 30 who were planning on the £10/£1 tickets, when the person booking tried to get them and found that deal had all sold out so now £17/7 a lot of them dropped out and we ended up with only 9. A steward we soke to said it is very hard to open extra blocks of seating close to the day due to the extra stewarding etc, he had been told close on 7k in attendance but i don't know the official number

I have to say though i hadn't been for a while and i thought the beer had got better, you could get a bottle of craft lager or  local real ale (poured into plastic) for £4.50 as well as a choice of Amstel, Guiness, Symonds cider or a keg bitter all for £4.20-£4.60 which is not that bad when town centre pubs in Reading are pushing £4 a pint
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Online
Points: 229
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 23:20
10 years ago they held the record for highest Premiership attendance, now can't even sell out one stand. What went wrong? (apart from relegation of course) 
Back to Top
Ol' Blue Eyes View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Location: Bedford
Status: Offline
Points: 361
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Blue Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 09:00
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

10 years ago they held the record for highest Premiership attendance, now can't even sell out one stand. What went wrong? (apart from relegation of course) 

To be fair, i think that was the St. Patrick's Day game, which always does well. Having the game on a Wednesday night is simply bonkers. 

For the wider Irish community in and around London that simply puts paying punters off and is done purely for TV. The TV audience, which I'd imagine wouldn't be more than about 25k, doesn't justify a Wednesday night. 

My favourite quote (admittedly its about rugby league, but still):

"It's got to be a bloody good game to survive the people who run it".
Take the points!
Back to Top
Surreyben View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Location: Surrey
Status: Offline
Points: 2126
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surreyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 17:28
The attendance, according to Irish's website was 7,830.
I may live in Surrey, but my heart is in Cornwall.
Kernow bys vyken - An gwary ha tra nahen
Back to Top
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Location: Crawley
Status: Offline
Points: 1473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 19:25
Originally posted by Dad Dad wrote:

Was speaking to someone tonight who said they believe brentford has permission and work will start soon but will be 2 years so likely in for Sep 19.

Think there would have been more for last night if they had planned properly. I was going to go in a group of about 30 who were planning on the £10/£1 tickets, when the person booking tried to get them and found that deal had all sold out so now £17/7 a lot of them dropped out and we ended up with only 9. A steward we soke to said it is very hard to open extra blocks of seating close to the day due to the extra stewarding etc, he had been told close on 7k in attendance but i don't know the official number

I have to say though i hadn't been for a while and i thought the beer had got better, you could get a bottle of craft lager or  local real ale (poured into plastic) for £4.50 as well as a choice of Amstel, Guiness, Symonds cider or a keg bitter all for £4.20-£4.60 which is not that bad when town centre pubs in Reading are pushing £4 a pint


Sounds a lot better than the purple offerings at Twickers, unless things have changed in the last 6 months.

Due to spend all day with very little choice - cannot even take any food as no bags policy.
RAID ON
Back to Top
elegia View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 16 May 2011
Location: bristol
Status: Offline
Points: 332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 13:56
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Well done Irish. Though sadly I reckon for a while, this is going to be the last time for a while that Leeds get this close to promotion again. Due to the abolition of the playoffs, we can now look forward to a Championship where promotion will ping-pong between Bristol and whichever team finishes bottom of the Premiership It will be a lifeless second tier where the majority of fixtures will be meaningless after Christmas. 
 
you can look forward to that
I'm looking forward to Bristol's journey now that the management have realised you need to put some money in to survive in the premiership.
to seeing who the next club to do an Exeter is
& to the demise of them down the road. (we can but dream)
 
 
this is why events unnerve me
Back to Top
RedOrDead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 9107
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOrDead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 15:22
Originally posted by elegia elegia wrote:

you can look forward to that
I'm looking forward to Bristol's journey now that the management have realised you need to put some money in to survive in the premiership.

Was money (or a lack thereof) really the cause of Bristol's relegation? From the outside looking in, my impression was that the biggest mistake was underestimating the amount of strengthening required to survive and that if the money would have been made available if Robinson had players lining up with pens in hand looking for a dotted line.

Whatever the reason for the lack of strengthening, it appears that the club won't be making the mistake again for the want of effort.

Originally posted by elegia elegia wrote:

to seeing who the next club to do an Exeter is
& to the demise of them down the road. (we can but dream)

Given the increase in costs since Exeter went up and the greater strength in depth in the AP, I'd have thought that I club would need to own a ground in the square mile in order to replicate what Exeter achieved these days! Saying that I'm always sceptical as to whether they would be able to carry on regardless if Tony Rowe woke up tomorrow and decided that he and his company no longer wanted anything to do with the club.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.