National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - London Irish without Guinness
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

London Irish without Guinness

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 869
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London Irish without Guinness
    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 07:28
Diageo ( Guinness owners) have pulled out of sponsorship for London Irish because of their signing of Paddy Jackson.
That is really going to hurt them as it is all part of the London Irish image apart from the financial aspect and they have been with them for over 30 years.


Could that money end up with the Wild Geese in Nat 3 South ?
That would make the rest of that league sit up. 



Edited by Insignificant Tick - 14 Jun 2019 at 07:36
Back to Top
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: W Yorks
Status: Offline
Points: 1786
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 07:49
I really don't understand why the directors at London Irish did not consult with their main sponsors about this signing.
Cash Converters and Guinness out. Oouch that is going to hurt.

Edited by tulip - 14 Jun 2019 at 07:50
Back to Top
paddym View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 01 May 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 212
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 08:42
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I really don't understand why the directors at London Irish did not consult with their main sponsors about this signing.
Cash Converters and Guinness out. Oouch that is going to hurt.


Cash Converters leaving had nothing to do with his signing.
Diageo were offered a meeting to discuss the signing several months ago but declined
the opportunity.
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 590
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 08:48
I always think it's pathetic that a company can just pull out of sponsoring a club just because they signed an innocent man. It may have been a high profile case, but the simple fact is he was found not guilty so should be allowed to continue his career with whichever club he likes.
Back to Top
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 869
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 09:15
Just goes to show that clubs cannot act independently of their support base, sponsors ( and players sometimes).
It needs a consensus from all stakeholders but so many clubs ( especially lower down)  just plow on regardless.  
Back to Top
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 1480
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:03
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I always think it's pathetic that a company can just pull out of sponsoring a club just because they signed an innocent man. It may have been a high profile case, but the simple fact is he was found not guilty so should be allowed to continue his career with whichever club he likes.
 

I've not seen any comment about Paddy Jackson not being allowed to play rugby
Back to Top
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 25 May 2007
Location: Nottingam
Status: Online
Points: 1064
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:04
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I always think it's pathetic that a company can just pull out of sponsoring a club just because they signed an innocent man. It may have been a high profile case, but the simple fact is he was found not guilty so should be allowed to continue his career with whichever club he likes.
 

I've not seen any comment about Paddy Jackson not being allowed to play rugby
 

They were declared innocent in the eyes of the law and that's the end of it. 

But the BBC published a piece at the same time as the players contracts were terminated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43739323


Back to Top
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: W Yorks
Status: Offline
Points: 1786
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:04
Originally posted by paddym paddym wrote:

Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I really don't understand why the directors at London Irish did not consult with their main sponsors about this signing.
Cash Converters and Guinness out. Oouch that is going to hurt.


Cash Converters leaving had nothing to do with his signing.
Diageo were offered a meeting to discuss the signing several months ago but declined
the opportunity.


I would have thought that the directors of Guinness and London Irish know each other sufficiently well to
express a view that for the sponsorship to continue. this signing should not happen.
Diageo, well that's a different scenario.
Sean O'Brien and Paddy Jacksons salaries must be over £600,000. Good luck with that
Back to Top
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 869
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:47
I think you're all missing the point.


THERE'S NO GUINNESS !
Back to Top
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1880
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 13:02
It's good to know that the board of Diageo have such high moral standards Wink

Ivan Menezes - Diageo CEO 
Originally posted by The Independent The Independent wrote:

Diageo CEO Ivan Menezes can surely afford to toast himself with something very much more rarefied than the best selling Johnnie Walker blended Scotch, that is one of the drinks giant’s more famous brands. 

The maximum value of his long term incentive awards granted during the year ending June 2017 amounts to 750 per cent of his basic salary, which comes in at a shade above £1.2m.
Kathryn Mikells - Diageo CFO 
Originally posted by Market Screener Market Screener wrote:

Total Calculated Compensation 6,936,000 GBP Fiscal Year 2018
Holding Diageo plc 1,158,085 ordinary shares valued at 41,224,491 USD
a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
Back to Top
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: W Yorks
Status: Offline
Points: 1786
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 15:09
Originally posted by Insignificant Tick Insignificant Tick wrote:


I think you're all missing the point.


THERE'S NO GUINNESS !


Well there used to be about 10 pumps pouring Guinness down
the   ‘Avenue ‘. A terrific player who made a mistake.
But London Irish without Guinness is a bigger mistake
Back to Top
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 25 May 2007
Location: Nottingam
Status: Online
Points: 1064
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 16:07
Don't think money will be an issue for Irish looking at Powerday's Accounts for last year they have a 70% ownership of London Irish Holdings Ltd ( the professional rugby club) and those accounts showed a T/O of £55 million and a profit after tax of £3.7 million.  Also it showed that investments in subsidiary's of which there is 1 was approx. £1.5 million
Back to Top
373 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular


Joined: 23 Jun 2016
Location: Norweb
Status: Offline
Points: 103
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 16:08
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I always think it's pathetic that a company can just pull out of sponsoring a club just because they signed an innocent man. It may have been a high profile case, but the simple fact is he was found not guilty so should be allowed to continue his career with whichever club he likes.
 

I've not seen any comment about Paddy Jackson not being allowed to play rugby
 

They were declared innocent in the eyes of the law and that's the end of it. 

But the BBC published a piece at the same time as the players contracts were terminated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43739323



During that same trial they were pretty much revealed to be massive scumbags, with the general consensus of the public that they’d got very lucky.

To say that’s the end of it is ridiculous. They are not likeable characters. Exactly the same as the Folau situation. Irish have been very stupid.
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 590
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 19:18
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I always think it's pathetic that a company can just pull out of sponsoring a club just because they signed an innocent man. It may have been a high profile case, but the simple fact is he was found not guilty so should be allowed to continue his career with whichever club he likes.
 

I've not seen any comment about Paddy Jackson not being allowed to play rugby

Aside of that Ulster fired him despite the fact that he was found not guilty in a court of law after a trial by a jury.
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 590
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 19:20
Originally posted by Insignificant Tick Insignificant Tick wrote:

I think you're all missing the point.


THERE'S NO GUINNESS !

They'll get around it by getting a licencing agreement from somewhere. They'll just have to pay for it rather than get it free.
Back to Top
fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Location: Thame
Status: Offline
Points: 1734
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 22:09
Other brands of Irish stout are available......
Back to Top
paddym View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 01 May 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 212
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 22:28
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Originally posted by Insignificant Tick Insignificant Tick wrote:

I think you're all missing the point.


THERE'S NO GUINNESS !

They'll get around it by getting a licencing agreement from somewhere. They'll just have to pay for it rather than get it free.

If only we got it free!!
Back to Top
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2014
Location: Manchester
Status: Offline
Points: 472
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:38
Guinness high moral stand  on this is a bit weird based on the contents of WhatsApp Group....

Are they planning to stop selling Guinness in the States?

You know where the Head of Government likes to grab women by the....... 

"Mine's a Double Standard"
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Back to Top
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Location: LONDON
Status: Offline
Points: 1112
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 14:46
This is a real minefield and there is no easy right answer. The so called 'lads banter' that came to light in texts and social media were very damming and very degrading to women. The people involved were cleared of the r ape charges but there was evidence that was very unsavoury in there group attitude towards women.

I understand the Guiness stance. The London Irish supporters have a huge female following and I wonder how they feel about the whole affair .



Edited by No 7 - 16 Jun 2019 at 14:59
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Back to Top
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Location: Ealing
Status: Offline
Points: 607
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:18
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

This is a real minefield and there is no easy right answer. The so called 'lads banter' that came to light in texts and social media were very damming and very degrading to women. The people involved were cleared of the r ape charges but there was evidence that was very unsavoury in there group attitude towards women.

I understand the Guiness stance. The London Irish supporters have a huge female following and I wonder how they feel about the whole affair .

I was on the London Irish forums the about two weeks ago to look for their reactions to losing the Championship Cup, and I came across a thread on Paddy. The comments were about 80% very, very negative, and 20% "he was innocent so let him go". Several people mentioned that they'd given up their season tickets.
 
A very strange side note - Powerday (owners of Irish) recently invested heavily in the ground of Hanwell Town Football club, about 300 meters from Vallis Way, to the extent that the ground was renamed Powerday Stadium (it is NOT a stadium). Very odd.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.