Print Page | Close Window

What is the point ...

Printed From: National League Rugby Discussion Forums
Category: League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk
Forum Name: The Championship
Forum Description: Discuss the 12 clubs forming the English Championship.
URL: http://www.rolling-maul.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17688
Printed Date: 18 Sep 2019 at 19:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: What is the point ...
Posted By: Camquin
Subject: What is the point ...
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 14:21
... of the Championship

To move this off the leeds thread.

Could we ever build a professional second tier in England?
How much should clubs expect from the RFU?
How do you build attendences?
What more could clubs do to promote the game?



-------------
Blood and Sand



Replies:
Posted By: Kimbo
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 14:24
1. Possibly
2. Not much
3. Move London Wasps back where they belong
4. Lots

(True, but slightly tongue in cheek)

-------------
Our City,
Our Club


Posted By: castleparknight
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 15:17
1. Yes - but time needs to be invested in negotiating separate TV rights (ITV 4 or some such for a bit of coverage), generating some appetite, maybe arranging cup competition with European Clubs of comparative strength etc.
2. Depends on what the RFU wants of us - the more they want the more they pay
3. See 1
4. Agree with Kimbo


-------------
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!


Posted By: marigold
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 15:22
1. No. It is only currently financially sustained by people who's money will eventually run out and from a player point of view by second rate overseas/past it players
2 No more. The RFU needs to redirect its attention to the 98% of the game that is non professional so that in 20 years there will be a grassroots game from which players, supporters and administrators can come from.
3 Very difficult without taking from the community game
4 Turn the teams back into clubs ie run a 2nd team/Colts team, use a community department for something other than selling match day tickets. Make a return towards the values that made/make rugby different from other sports.


Posted By: Runitback
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 20:43
1. Clubs need to be financially responsible and squads should be allowed only 2 overseas players . .  the RFU should support this league as it is their top league, current funding is probably sufficient though.
2. What they currently get . . but kickbacks to clubs that produce future internationals
3. The Championship needs to be marketed better by the RFU and try to get games on free to view  channels .. ie BBC . . . clubs also need to improve marketing. 
4. I agree with Marigold . . build support in the "clubs" community

Lastly if league stays at 12 teams get a meaningful cup competition . . . if 14 teams drop cup 


-------------
Run with it


Posted By: Raider999
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

1. Clubs need to be financially responsible and squads should be allowed only 2 overseas players . .  the RFU should support this league as it is their top league, current funding is probably sufficient though.
2. What they currently get . . but kickbacks to clubs that produce future internationals
3. The Championship needs to be marketed better by the RFU and try to get games on free to view  channels .. ie BBC . . . clubs also need to improve marketing. 
4. I agree with Marigold . . build support in the "clubs" community

Lastly if league stays at 12 teams get a meaningful cup competition . . . if 14 teams drop cup 


I really cannot see the benefits of the Cup competition (or the one involving the Premiership clubs for that matter) - get rid of both, extend both leagues to 14.

This would involve 4 extra teams from N1. So either reduce N1 to 14 teams (promoting 2 extra teams from N2) or leave at 16 teams (promoting 4 extra teams from N2)

-------------
RAID ON


Posted By: Woody
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 13:22
Erm I have only read the TRP headline but if the British league is indeed coming where does that leave us?

-------------
Forever Green.


Posted By: FHLH
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by Woody Woody wrote:

where does that leave us?

As usual forgotten by the RFU

Originally posted by Raiser999 Raiser999 wrote:

   14 teams or 16 teams                   

National 1 has no central support so need extra games at 16 teams for business model to work


Originally posted by Anyone in authority Anyone in authority wrote:

  Know your place just keep on providing cannon fodder for us through your volunteer investment in Mini & Youth


-------------
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."


Posted By: JonDee
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 13:37
Was about to ask the question,  that with some of the excellent signings in the Championship this year many on 2 year contracts has a deal been agreed with the RFU to extend the existing agreement that finishes at the end of the season. 


Posted By: JonDee
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 13:42
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

1. No. It is only currently financially sustained by people who's money will eventually run out and from a player point of view by second rate overseas/past it players
2 No more. The RFU needs to redirect its attention to the 98% of the game that is non professional so that in 20 years there will be a grassroots game from which players, supporters and administrators can come from.
3 Very difficult without taking from the community game
4 Turn the teams back into clubs ie run a 2nd team/Colts team, use a community department for something other than selling match day tickets. Make a return towards the values that made/make rugby different from other sports.
 
Marigold you mean like Nottingham ., Doncaster , Bedford and a number of the other clubs Community Teams have been doing for many years and winning National Awards 


Posted By: castleparknight
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 12:00
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

1. Yes - but time needs to be invested in negotiating separate TV rights (ITV 4 or some such for a bit of coverage), generating some appetite, maybe arranging cup competition with European Clubs of comparative strength etc.
2. Depends on what the RFU wants of us - the more they want the more they pay
3. See 1
4. Agree with Kimbo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49316658" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49316658

Scotland is televising one super six game per week on BBC Scotland, why can't we get a deal like that?


-------------
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!


Posted By: Camquin
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 12:37
Because RFU 'negotiated' a deal with Sky and until that contract expires nothing else can be done.

-------------
Blood and Sand


Posted By: Cannon
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 13:22
1. Yes, but it would need a huge change from the current set up. A TV rights would help them to raise funds, just like the Football League show. 
2. I don't think the RFU should be bank rolling the Championship, but the funding could be much higher. For example additional funding for English eligible players, academy players who play international etc.
3. Make the experience more of a show, like horse racing they could have live bands, play back to back games with Ladies Rugby, have curtain warmers of local club derbies, change their ko times so that they can then show Premiership game sstraight after. 
4. Get involved with the community game more.


-------------
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!


Posted By: Halliford
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 13:34
Camquin, the TV rights for the Premiership are negotiated by PRL, not the RFU. Similarly the 6 Nations Committee sells the TV rights, not the RFU. The RFU has only the autumn internationals to sell. To sell to Sky needs advertising interest and there is none for Levels 2 or 3. The only marketable product is the Premiership. In France Those levels get better coverage but that is often more local, we don’t have local TV companies any more.


Posted By: Mark W-J
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 14:53
The RFU sold the rights to their flagship competition to Sky.
Premiership Rugby sold the rights to their flagship competition to BT.


Posted By: Robb
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 07:55
In New Zealand in 2017, I saw they had a programme on national TV showcasing community and school rugby, I still don't see why they couldn't do that here on either BT or Channel 4 for example


Posted By: Camquin
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 08:37
You could but would enough people watch it to make it worth while for a commercial broadcaster.

Also who has the rights.

The RFU puts all its marketing effort into Internationals and lets PRL market the Premiership as it know these attract the big numbers. 



-------------
Blood and Sand


Posted By: castleparknight
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:10
At least let the Championship / National Leagues have a go at finding a potential interested party for themselves. Sky is not doing us any favours, we would be better placed with a terrestrial channel broadcasting a game weekly, and potentially a highlights program (even if lifted from the video recordings of each match).  

-------------
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!


Posted By: Jed Eye
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:56
If you want a point to the Championship try this. 17 of the 31 players in England's World Cup squad (55%) played at level 2. Of course that's a headline statistic and there's more to player development than bare statistics, but I reckon that's not a bad return.

-------------
"May the farce be RFU."


Posted By: Richard Lowther
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:36
Could we ever build a professional second tier in England?
No. We can't build a substantial top tier, never mind a second.  

How much should clubs expect from the RFU? 
The RFU is the governing body for the entire game, not just the clubs. There should be an acknowledgement that clubs interests should be balanced with interests of others. 

How do you build attendences? By playing attractive rugby and offering a good atmosphere.  Consideration should  be given to alternative kick-off times especially if you are in a catchment area competing against alternative sports. 

What more could clubs do to promote the game? 
Promote themselves better; use the press and social media to make themselves known - you grow the game through the clubs. 


-------------
Moderator http://www.leaguerugby.co.uk" rel="nofollow - National League Rugby Message Boards



Remember Wakefield RFC



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk