National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National League 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Old Albanians overtake Roslyn Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Albanians overtake Roslyn Park
    Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 12:12
Yesterday the navigator and I missed breakfast at the nearest harvester to OAs yesterday by 5 minutes so with no brekkie and they were not serving lunch for another 30 minutes we had to pass. It seemed okay though as it looked like there was going to be pre match food to buy at the ground. So after setting up the navigator and I toddled of upstairs for tea and food. The navigator almost fell of his chair when his pint of Guinness cost £4.75 (I have no idea of the price of a pint but it seemed a bit much) then when the food appeared I asked for a Cheeseburger only to be told couldn't have that on its own had to have a "meal" which I assume was some chips with it all for only £7. All least Park try to use a bit of marketing but these were just piled up on a tray being kept warm under lights. So does this now constitute the dearest burger in the division beating Parks £5 or is it equal and a few chips are £2.
So many Christians not enough Lions
Sedge Tiger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 12:47
Rabbie

You sherry swilling ruffian don’t know the price of a pint! that’s because you never buy any

No I still think Parks The Rock ‘gourmet’ burger still takes the award.

A belated happy birthday

All the best

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 04 Feb 2018 at 13:40
Give him one with handles on
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 18:49
Guinness €5.30 in Dublin and £3.40 in Belfast

Edited by FHLH - 04 Feb 2018 at 18:51
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 21:15
And the price of Guinness at Well Hall is ?
The older I get, the better I was.
Alderman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 21:47
I do believe there are 2 prices at Well Hall, one for members and a higher one for everybody else...
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 07:36
I think it's 3.75 but not sure. Yes there is a members discount card to encourage people taking out membership
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 07:49
Cambridge members now get a discount if they pay using membership card - requires putting money onto the card first.
I believe OA members get a discount card.
Blood and Sand
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 09:03
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

I think it's 3.75 but not sure. Yes there is a members discount card to encourage people taking out membership

A difference if £1.00 seems very excessive to me - Even when I was working on the city I never paid £4.75 for Guinness !
Gone are the days when beer prices at rugby clubs were 30% cheaper than the local pubs 😱
The older I get, the better I was.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 20:51
In the interest of fairness as I am that kind of chap I checked tonight at Well Hall and it's £4.40 a pint non members and £3.96 for members. Not the difference I thought but it's still nearly a fiver for a pint. That almost came as the same shock that it's £10 nearly for 20 fags. Good job I gave up the booze and fags as it would be costing me £70 on average a day
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 13:06
and when I think my first pint was 10d (Mild) - that's 4p to you youngsters, and they had fag machines on the walls of buildlings that gave you 3 Woodbines and 2 matches for 6d (a tanner of 2.5p)

Edited by FHLH - 07 Feb 2018 at 13:07
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 14:14
Lovely story FHLH my favourite from my youth is when I was leaving the little provincial town in Scotland to join the RN my friends and I went on a special night out on the Friday which started at the local working men's club and we decided on a £3 whip which everyone threw on the table and someone reported us to the committee who marched over and informed us to get that amount of money of the table and if we thought we were drinking that much we could think again. There was around £45 on the table which was probably 2-3 weeks wages for most of the older men ( most of my friends were apprentices or manual workers earning £5 - £8 per week). Depending on variety you could get 8 pints to the £1. Never did know how much we spent nor where we ended up but woke on my Aunties floor on Saturday morning in a rather bad state.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 16:11
WBen I moved on to Uni we'd treat ourselves on Friday lunchtime to a drinking the Piccadilly Hotel in Manchester. Double Diamond was 2s/6d a pint - 8 to the £1. Normally, being students, we'd go down to the local at 10 for the final pint (closing at 10.30pm) which was Watneys Red Barrel at 2s (10p). But then I also received £100+ a term as a grant and worked in the college bar so was rich! The all night bus home was double fare to pay for the upstairs night inspector. What a hoot and the Wednesday afternoon rugby was fun as well 🏉

Edited by FHLH - 09 Feb 2018 at 16:12
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic